By TARA ALATORRE
ANTHEM – The Musical Theatre of Anthem (MTA) won seven National Youth Arts (NYA) Awards and was nominated for an additional 37 NYA Awards at a ceremony held in Peoria on August 11. NYA honors outstanding work by youth artists.
“Congratulations to all of the award winners and nominees!” said Jackie Hammond, MTA’s producing artistic director. “I’m so proud of everyone at MTA. It takes all of the cast members, volunteers, production staff, and community to make our shows successful.”
Among the MTA winners was the 2019 NYA Junior Artist of the Year, Julia Hughes, who played Emily in “Freckleface Strawberry,” Fiona in “The Giver,” Spiker in “James and the Giant Peach Jr.” and Snoopy in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” Also, Savannah Foy won Lead Performance in a Musical as Jerusha Abbott in “Daddy Long Legs.”
These are the other MTA performers who received a 2019 NYA Award:
- Supporting Performance in a Musical: Alexis Rosenbaum as Beggar Woman/Pirelli in “Sweeney Todd.”
- Supporting Performance (Junior Division): Kate Creed as Teacher in “Freckleface Strawberry.”
- Supporting Performance (Junior Division): Noelle Hammond as Lucy Van Pelt in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.”
- Supporting Performance (Junior Division): Christopher Poulios as Willard Hewitt in “Footloose.”
- Ensemble: “The Music Man Jr.”
The mission of MTA, which is a non-profit theater company located in Anthem, is to develop youth and adults within the field of performing arts while enhancing their intrinsic creativity and brokering their vast talents. One of MTA’s principles is to cast all who audition in select productions and providing a positive environment.
MTA’s current season is underway with the upcoming production of “Frozen Jr.” and the “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”
For more information or to purchase tickets to an upcoming production visit MusicalTheatreofAnthem.org or call 623-336-6001. MTA is located at 42201 N. 41st Drive, Suite B100 in Anthem.