Share
Printer Friendly Version

Scottsdale Healthcare warning of carbon monoxide dangers

Staff Report~ 12/10/2014

NORTH VALLEY – “Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that kills more than 500 Americans every year,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As the weather gets colder, the heat goes on. Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical center is reminding local residents that carbon monoxide poisoning is life threatening – and preventable.

If a person does present with carbon monoxide poisoning, Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Hospital’s hyperbaric chamber is available. The combination of increased air pressure and pure oxygen in a hyperbaric chamber can aid in healing, controlling infection, preserving damaged tissues, eliminating toxic substances from the bloodstream, and more.

Carbon monoxide exposure prevention tips:

  • Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.
  • Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
  • Don't heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window. If it’s cold, stay with friends or family or in a shelter.