Highway Patrol offering Thanksgiving driving tips
Staff Report~ 11/26/2014
NORTH VALLEY – The Arizona Highway Patrol Association wants to ensure all families make it to and from their holiday destinations safely. AHPA offers these reminders for your family this Thanksgiving.
- Blinding dust storms can pop up even in the Arizona winter months; in a dust storm, drivers should reduce their speed, pull over off the highway as far as possible, and wait for the storm to pass
- Plan enough time for your drive and observe posted speed limits.
- Check your vehicle ahead of time. This includes fluid levels, belts, hoses, and tire pressure/condition.
- Be prepared for the unexpected.
- Be rested before traveling and take breaks during long drives.
- Carry an emergency kit that includes items such as a cell phone, a flashlight with extra batteries, flares, jumper cables, basic repair tools, and drinking water.
- Watch out for other drivers.
- AHPA encourages anyone on the road to call 9-1-1 if you view suspicious or aggressive drivers, breakdowns, and accidents. Make sure calls can be made safely using a hands-free device and without taking the driver’s focus from the potential hazard. If possible, have a passenger make the call.
- Use a designated driver or call a taxi if consuming alcoholic beverages or taking impairing medications, including prescribed medication.
Important driving laws:
- DPS is cracking down on drivers who are texting or driving distracted. AHPA recommends eliminating driver distractions. Limit cell phone use to emergencies only. Under no circumstances should a driver text or email while driving.
- Remember the ‘Move Over Law.’ Move over one lane or slow down for vehicles on the side of the road.
- Buckle Up! It’s the Law! AHPA wants everyone to be safe, by having all passengers use seat belts, including children. Child safety restraints can be installed with assistance from DPS, your local police, or fire department. Seat belts and child safety restraints have been proven to be effective in reducing and/or preventing injuries in vehicle crashes.