Share
Printer Friendly Version

Silver Spur damaged by fire; no injuries reported

6/29/16

Elizabeth Medora
Staff

CAVE CREEK – Fire broke out at the Silver Spur Saloon & Restaurant on the evening of June 21. No one was injured in the blaze, and firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the surrounding buildings. The full extent of the damage has not yet been announced; on the Silver Spur’s Web site, it’s noted that the restaurant is closed until further notice.

In a June 22 message on their Facebook page, the Silver Spur posted: “The Silver Spur would like to thank everyone for the kind words & Cave Creek support. Also THANK YOU to the fire dept. They did an amazing job. Their work & efforts are keeping us positive during this time for minimal downtime. Please keep our employees in your thoughts and prayers as we find the next step to recovery. We will keep you posted as we know more.”

Shawn Gilleland, Public Information Officer for the Rural/Metro Fire Department, noted in an email interview that a fire was discovered in the attic of the Silver Spur, which could have been caused by the AC unit or the result of other electrical. He noted that initial reports from patron and witnesses, including the first fire crews to arrive, indicated smoke pushing in the restaurant from the AC vents.

“No one was injured during the fire,” Gilleland said. Gilleland added that it will be subject to the insurance adjuster to determine whether the building is a loss, but that in his opinion, the building is not a loss.

Thanks to the quick action and teamwork of Rural/Metro and Phoenix Fire and Scottsdale Fire, both of which came to assist Rural/Metro on the scene, the fire did not spread to another of the surrounding buildings. Battling fires becomes even more difficult in weather like the extreme heat of the last week; having multiple firefighters available to attack the fire is crucial to success in extinguishing the flames.

“This had the potential to destroy the entire Frontier Town, had it not been for the skillful teamwork of these firefighters,” Gilleland reported.

“Ultimately, the damage was isolated to the ceiling and roof in the main dining area of the restaurant,” Gilleland said. Asked about on-site fire prevention/detection equipment, Gilleland reported that the building had no sprinklers and that he did not know if smoke detectors were present. 

Gilleland recommended that local residents have their AC units serviced to help find potentially flammable problems before a fire starts. During summer heat, the demand placed on AC units greatly increases, and Rural/Metro would strongly recommends that individuals and businesses have their AC unit serviced by a trained professional to make sure that all electrical components are working and to make sure the unit is clean and operating efficiently (less risk of overheating).

“At a minimum, inspect the unit yourself to ensure a rodent or bird has not created a nest in or around the unit, that flammable material is not stacked against the unit (blocking air flow or increasing the risk of fire), looking at wires to make sure they appear in good condition (no rodent chewing on them, fraying, cracks, or exposed wires),” Gilleland said. “Finally, do not over work your AC, setting the temperature even two degrees higher will save money and load on your AC. Businesses with old AC trying to cool large areas may consider adding an additional AC to lower the work load or replacing with a larger unit.”

Keep updated on the reconstruction work and reopening schedule of the Silver Spur by following
www.facebook.com/silverspursaloonandrestaurant.