Archaeology Society meeting to discuss ‘The Great Battle of 1698’
CAVE CREEK – Dr. Deni Seymour will speak on ‘The Great Battle of 1698: A Historical Turning Point for the O'odham and Apache’ at the March 9 meeting of the Arizona Archaeology Society – Desert Foothills Chapter.
Seymour will discuss The Great Battle of 1698; the greatest historical event to have occurred in this region happened along the San Pedro River in the vicinity of Fairbank on Easter Day in 1698. This was the battle at Santa Cruz de Gaybanipitea, when 500 Apache and their allies attacked the still-sleeping Sobaipuri-O’odham village of 80. This village was visited by the Jesuit Father Eusebio Kino in the 1690s. Against all odds, the Sobaipuri-O’odham won the battle. The story is remembered because it was retold and recorded by a number of Spaniards, including by Padre Kino, but fresh understandings are now available that make the story even more important. Seymour corrects the historical record with new translations of historic battle-related documents, including results of archaeological excavations and analysis with application of O’odham-specific cultural information.
Seymour is an internationally recognized authority on protohistoric and historic Native American and Spanish colonial archaeology and ethnohistory. She has excavated two Spanish-period presidios (Santa Cruz de Terrenate and Tubac), several missions, and several indigenous sites. Seymour works with indigenous groups in reconnecting with their heritage, investigates Coronado and Niza expedition archaeology, and is rewriting the history of the pre-Spanish and colonial period in the southern portion of the Southwest. She has published extensively on these groups and this period and is a full-time research archaeologist and ethnohistorian, public speaker, and author affiliated with two academic institutions and the nonprofit research group Jornada Research Institute.
Archaeology Society meetings are open to the public. The March 9 meeting will start at 7:30 p.m. and will be held in the community building at The Good Shepherd of the Hills Episcopal Church, located at 6502 East Cave Creek Road, in Cave Creek.
For more information on the Arizona Archaeology Society – Desert Foothills Chapter, see www.azarchsoc.org/desertfoothills.